Prebranac baked beans
One of the favourite Serbian dishes is the prebranac, “gravče na tavče” or baked beans. It is popular during the whole year, but during the winter season prebranac takes the place of bean soups.
- 500 g beans
- 3 dl oil
- 1 kg onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- bay leaf
- Paprika powder
- ground black pepper
- Put white beans in a pot, cover them water and bring to a boil.
- Drain, pour hot water over them and cook until the beans become soft. Then drain them again.
- Peel an onion and put it to rest in cold water for about ten minutes. Then slice it into thin rounds.
- Heat one part of the oil and fry the onions until they turn golden.
- Add a bit of ground pepper, paprika powder and salt.
- Cover the bottom of the dish with oil and then place the beans evenly.
- Pour the fried onions over them. Then pour the beans again and the onions again until you run out of beans and onions. Always pour some oil on the layer of onions.
- The last layer has to be of beans.
- Put a bay leaf on top as well as two cloves of garlic and a dry hot pepper if you wish. Then pour some oil over that.
- Cook in a preheated oven for about half an hour. Enjoy!
Photo credit and inspiration: serbia.com