Croatia Zagorski Štrukli (Cheese filled pastry)
The Croatian dish called Štrukli from the northern region is loved throughout the country. This recipe calls for boiling and baking and the result is heavenly!
- 1 lb puff pastry dough
- 3 eggs
- ½ lb feta cheese
- ½ lb farmers cheese, ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt to taste
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out the puff pastry dough on a floured surface until very thin. Make a long rectangle.
- In a bowl, mix together two eggs, the feta and other cheese of choice plus salt to taste.
- Spread the mixture on the rolled out puff pastry dough.
- Roll up the dough into a long cylindrical log.
- Cut into pieces using the edge of a plate into two inch pieces.
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- Add in the pieces and cook for 5 minutes, remove with a slotted spoon and place into a greased glass dish or individual serving size dishes.
- Mix together 1 eggs, sour cream and salt to taste.
- Pour over the pieces and cook for about 30 minutes until golden brown.
Photo credit and inspiration: