Turkish kebabs with tomato chilli sauce
These spicy chicken kebabs can be marinated the day before for extra flavour. Wrap in a warm flatbread and top with pickled chilli and cooling yogurt
For the dough
- 2 garlic cloves
- 200 g Greek yogurt
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tsp tomato purée
- 2 tsp chilli flakes (Aleppo are nice)
- 2 tsp sumac
- 4 chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 300 g baby plum tomatoes
- 1 thumb-sized red chilli, stem removed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 tbsp pomegranate molasses
- a handful fresh flat-leaf parsley
- a handful fresh coriander
long pickled chillis (guindillas)
- 4 Middle Eastern flatbreads
- Crush 1 garlic clove and mix with 3 tbsp yogurt, the lemon juice, 1 tsp tomato purée, half the spices, and some seasoning in a medium bowl.
- Add the chicken, toss, cover and chill in the fridge for at least 1 hr or overnight.
- Make the chilli sauce. Put 100g of the tomatoes, the whole red chilli, the remaining spices, garlic clove and tomato purée, plus 1 tbsp olive oil, half the red onion and the pomegranate molasses in a food processor. Add some seasoning and pulse until puréed, then set aside.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, and heat a griddle pan. Thread the chicken onto metal skewers or wooden ones that have been soaked, then wipe off the excess marinade. Skewer the remaining tomatoes on a separate skewer.
- Lightly oil the griddle with the remaining olive oil and brown the chicken on both sides, then transfer to a baking tray and bake in the oven for 10 mins, or until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, griddle the tomatoes for 1-2 mins, turning halfway through so they have griddle marks on both sides.
- Serve the chicken and tomatoes on flatbreads with the remaining red onion, pickled chillis, the remaining Greek yogurt, parsley and coriander with the chilli sauce spooned over.
Calories: 276kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g
Photo credit and inspiration: Jennifer Joyce