Apple Strudel is a traditional dessert all around Alpine Regions. It is made of stretched dough filled with grated apples and spices.
- 500 g wheat flour
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- 1 egg
For apple filling:
- 1-2 kg apples
- 150 g butter
- 80 g bread crumbs
- 1 lemon
- Put the flour, oil and egg in food processor. Mix the lukewarm water with salt and vinegar. Start mixing with slowly adding water into flour.
- When it doesn't stick to the bowl anymore take it out on the working table and finish it with your hands until nicely soft and smooth.
- When finished spread the oil over dough, cover it and put to rest for at least 1/2 hour.
- Wash and clean the apples. Sprinkle the lemon juice over grated apples. In that way they will not turn brown. You can also add sugar and cinnamon.
- Melt the butter and mix in the bread crumbs. Stir-fry them just a bit.
- Put the dough on a cotton cloth sprinkled with a bit of flour. Stretch the dough from all sides out to get a very thin layer.
- Sprinkle with breadcrumbs roasted in butter, save 1/4 for later. Than add apples on 1/3 of the dough together with sugar and cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the rest of breadcrumbs over these edges and roll all in with the help of the cotton cloth.
- Make small holes with tooth pick to get rid of the air inside. Spread with melted butter or vegetable oil and put into preheated oven. Bake for 1 hour on 200 degrees C.
Photo and source: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com