Patetnik is a traditional Bulgarian potato-based dish characteristic of the Rhodope Mountains.
- 3 lb potatoes
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp dried spearmint
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp butter
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Peel the potatoes, and grate them in a bowl.
- Peel the onions and grate in the same bowl.
- Add salt, pepper, vegetable oil and dried mint. Crack eggs and add them to the mixture. Stir well.
- Grease a round pan with 1 tablespoon of butter, then sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour to dust the pan.
- Pour the potato mixture into the pan. Press with your palms to flatten. Sprinkle last 2 tablespoons of flour on top. Add a few dollops of butter on top.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
Photo credit and inspiration: 196flavors.com