Tavče gravče is a national dish of Macedonia. It is composed of beans and other vegetables and prepared in a skillet.
- 1 cup dry white beans
- 3 onions , sliced
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 3 red onions, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 green chili peppers, finely chopped
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 yellow bell peppers, sliced
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 cup sunflower oil
- 2 bay leaves
- A few mint leave
- ½ bunch cilantro
- black pepper
- Soak the beans for 6 hours in boiling water and ½ teaspoon of baking soda.
- Wash the beans and blanch in boiling water over high heat for 15 minutes.
- Drain. In a stew-pot, sauté 2 garlic cloves in a quarter of the oil.
- Add a few slices of red and yellow peppers, half of the paprika, and one chili pepper. Pour the beans and ⅓ of chili powder. Salt. Cover tightly with water and cook 30 minutes over medium heat and 30 minutes on low heat.
- Once the beans are cooked, drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Put aside.
- In the second quarter oil, sauté the onions. Add salt, the second third of chili powder and the flour.
- Simmer for 10 minutes. Put aside.
- In the 3rd quarter oil, sauté the last two cloves of garlic, the remaining strips of bell peppers, the other half of paprika, and the second chili pepper for 15 minutes. Put aside.
- Preheat oven at 210 F.
- In an earthenware pot or a glass baking dish, add the fourth quarter of the oil in the bottom.
- Add all the above preparations in layers ending with beans on top.
- Cover with the reserved cooking liquid, sprinkle chopped cilantro and mint.
- Cover and bake for 3 hours.
Photo credit and inspiration: 196flavors.com