Ham and Bean Soup
It is a very simple recipe you can put into the slow cooker and forget it for 5-6 hours while it cooks.
- 1 lb smoked ham shank or ham hocks
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 2 cans Great Northern Beans or 1 large jar of the beans, drained, and rinsed
- 5 cup homemade chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Spray a slow cooker or crockpot with cooking spray.
- Place the ham shank or ham hocks in the slow cooker first and then add the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low heat setting for 5-6 hours or until the meat is tender and almost falling of the bones.
- Remove the ham, cut away the fat and discard, then dice the meat from the bone into small pieces. Stir back into the soup.
- If you like a thicker soup, remove some of the beans and mash them with a fork then stir back into the soup. Cook for an additional 1/2 hour. Serve with crusty bread or pogacha. Can be frozen and refrigerated for later use. Adjust salt & Pepper if needed.
Photo and inspiration: cookingserbian.blogspot.com