Cabbage with Rice – Lahanorizo
Lahanorizo belongs to a category of the popular one-pot Greek vegetable and rice dishes in which all the flavors meld together.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 10 oz small cabbage
- ½ tomato paste
- black pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ cup medium grain rice
- 1 Lemon
- First heat olive oil in a medium pot.
- Then add the onion and sauté until soft about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and mix until cabbage is coated with the olive oil.
- Heat for 2-3 minutes (stirring) until cabbage has wilted.
- Add about 1 cup hot water hot water and simmer for 20-30 minutes until cabbage is soft. Add more water if needed.
- Once cabbage is soft add the tomato paste that has been dissolved in 2-3 tablespoons of water, and ½ teaspoon salt, freshly ground pepper and cayenne pepper and mix.
- Add ½ cup (uncooked) medium grain rice, stir so that rice is coated with the oil.
- Add 1 ¼ cup hot water and simmer until rice is almost cooked (about 15 minutes).
- Add more hot water in small amount if needed. Once rice is ready, but there is still a bit of water left in the pot, remove from heat and keep covered until rest of water is absorbed. Rice should be somewhat creamy.
- Serve with plenty of lemon and sprinkle with parsley.
Photo credit and inspiration: olivetomato.com