Spinach and Rice – Spanakokorizo
Spanakorizo is such a simple dish, but yet delicious and easy to make. It is soft and creamy, and along with plenty of lemon juice, a bit of olive oil and of course feta.
- 1 lb fresh spinach rinsed
- ½ Juice of half lemon
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 2½ tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp dry mint
- 3 tbsp chopped dill
- ⅔ cup water
- ⅓ cup medium grain rice
- black pepper
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- In a large pot wilt the spinach with the lemon juice and 1 teaspoon olive oil. Set aside to drain.
- In another pot sauté the onion with the rest of the olive oil until soft.
- Add the spinach, dry mint, dill and 2/3 cup warm water and bring to a boil.
- Add the rice, salt (as needed) and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes until rice is soft. Add additional warm water as needed.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with a squeeze of lemon juice and a bit of olive oil and feta.
Photo credit and inspiration: olivetomato.com