It is a cake with vanilla, cream and whipped cream, popular in several Central European countries.
- 2½ lb puff pastry rectangles
- 8 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
For mixture #1
- 10 egg yolks
- 2½ cup flour
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vanilla-flavored sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 vanilla pod, cut lengthwise and scraped
For mixture #2
- 5 cup milk
- 5 cup water
- 5 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp rum
For mixture #3
- 10 egg whites
- 1¾ cup icing sugar
- Preheat the convection oven at 400 F.
- Prick the two rectangles of puff pastry with a fork and bake for 10 minutes until they are golden brown.
- Mix all the ingredients of mixture #1 in a food processor.
- In a very large non-stick pot, heat mixture #2 at medium heat. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Add mixture #1, stir, then cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes, stirring constantly until mixture thickens like a pudding. Make sure it doesn't burn.
- For mixture #3, beat the egg whites and add the icing sugar gradually while beating until stiff.
- Incorporate the egg whites slowly and gradually to the warm mixture.
- Place a rectangular frame (baking ring) of 8 x 16 in on a large flat plate.
- Place the first puff pastry at the bottom of the frame, pour in the hot mixture and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Whip the cream with 4 tablespoons of icing sugar.
- Remove the cake from the refrigerator and pour a thin layer of whipped cream on top of the cream.
- Place the second rectangular puff pastry on top and sprinkle with 4 tablespoons of the remaining icing sugar.
- Cut square pieces.
Photo credit and inspiration: 196flavors.com