Goulash with Souerkraut
In Slovenia souerkraut is one of the basic winter ingredients.
- 1 kg sauerkraut
- 500 g pork meat
- 3 onions
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tbsp grounded sweet red peppers
- 1 pinch of chilli
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- Salt to taste
- 1,5 l Broth or hot water
- 60 g oil or ghee or lard
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- Chop the onions and cut the meat.
- Preheat the lard and add chopped onions. Stir-fry until it gets nice light yellow color.
- Then add the meat and mix well. Stir-fry for another few minutes.
- Then add finely chopped garlic and all the spices, mix well with meat and add water or broth to cover the meat.
- Simmer on low temperature for approximately 30 to 40 minutes.
- Mix from time to time and add water or broth if needed. When the meat is almost done add the sauerkraut, mix well all together and stir-fry for a minute or two.
- Add broth or water to cover everything and bring to boil. Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Before finishing cooking add the mixture of flour and sour cream if you want goulash to be thicker.
Photo and source: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com