A consommé is made by adding a mixture of ground meats, together with mirepoix (a combination of carrots, celery, and onion), tomatoes, and egg whites into either bouillon or stock.
- 12 vine tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tsp sea salt
- ½ fresh chile, chopped
- 1 tbsp merlot vinegar
- 2 tbsp dill
- 1 avocado
- pickled Onions
- In a large bowl, toss chopped tomatoes with the sea salt and massage gently for a minute. Then add chopped chile and merlot vinegar and toss gently. Allow to sit at room temperature - cover it and leave it for a couple hours.
- The water will begin to drain out of the tomatoes.
- Strain off liquid with a fine mesh strainer or sprouting bag, pressing with a ladle or rubber spatula to push the juice through. Save the water for the consommé and store the tomato pulp for a future dish. The pulp should keep in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
- Serve the consommé chilled and garnished with dill feathers, avocado balls and Wine Pickled Onions.
Photo and inspiration: rouxbe.com,wikipedia.org