Greek tzatziki is a classic yogurt, garlic and cucumber sauce. It sounds very simple but in order to achieve the perfect texture you have to pay attention to the details! The main ingredients for this traditional Greek tzatziki sauce recipe are plenty of garlic and extra creamy thick yogurt. A great Tzatziki sauce is all about the garlic.
Tzatziki sauce (Greek Yogurt and Cucumber Sauce)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 18 oz strained Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- To prepare this traditional Greek tzatziki sauce recipe, remove the skin and the seeds of the cucumber and grate it into a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper and leave aside for 10 minutes.
- Wrap the grated cucumber in a towel and squeeze, in order to get rid of the excess water.
- Assemble the tzatziki sauce. In a bowl, add the cucumber, the minced garlic and olive oil, the yogurt, 1-2 tbsps of red wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and blend, until the ingredients are combined. Store the tzatziki sauce in the fridge and always serve cold. (Alternatively, if you have a blender, pour in the olive oil and garlic and blend until combined. Then mix with the rest of the ingredients using a spoon. This will help the garlic to mix better with the rest of the ingredients).
- Prepare this traditional tzatziki sauce for your friends and family and serve as a delicious dip with some warm pita breads aside, or as a sauce for Greek-style souvlaki. Enjoy!
Photo credit: www.aspicyperspective.com
Inspiration: www.aspicyperspective.com, www.mygreekdish.com, natashaskitchen.com