Bean Yahni Soup (Jani me Fasule)
It is a paprika-spiced pot of white beans and onions, slow cooked until tender and creamy.
- 2 cup dry white beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- chili powder
- Boil beans in hot water in an uncovered pot for 5 minutes.
- Rinse and boil for another 15 minutes in a covered stock pot in 3 cups hot water.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until it turns yellow.
- Add 2 tablespoons bean stock from the pot along with tomato sauce, parsley, salt and chili powder for taste.
- Cook for 10 minutes or until a thick sauce is formed, then pour everything into the pot.
- Add chopped mint, cover tightly and cool for 2 hours over low heat, or for 30 minutes in a pressure cooker.
- This should produce a thick juice, covering beans by inch.
- Serve hot.
Photo credit and inspiration: fromaroundtheworld, albaniavisits