A simple and irresistibly sweet favourite! The vanilice are one of those cookies which everybody loves and is more than happy to eat! In Serbia they are made on holidays, on special occasions and when there is no special reason at all.
- 1 kg flour
- 500 g lard
- 2 dl yoghurt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 packets of vanilla sugar
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Plum or apricot jam
- Use a mixer to mix in the lard with the sugar in a bowl, then add yoghurt.
- Gradually add flour and make smooth dough. Dust the workspace with flour and then spread the dough until it is 5 mm thick. Using a small glass or a mould stamp out the cookies (round shape) and place them in a tray covered with baking sheets.
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C and bake the vanilice for about 15 minutes. Make sure they don’t turn too golden.
- After they cool take one cookie at a time, spread it with jam and then top with another cookie round.
- Finally, roll each cookie in the vanilla sugar generously. Enjoy!
Photo credit and inspiration: serbia.com