Au Gratin A-la Bulgaria
The addition of eggs in this recipe makes it light and fluffy. This makes a wonderful side dish, to any type of meat or can be eaten as a vegetarian entrée.
- 2 lb Bulgarian Feta cheese, Greek Feta or whole milk cottage cheese would work too
- 1 stick of unsalted melted butter
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground black pepper
- 6 large russet potatoes, peeled and cut into ⅛” slices
- 2 cup Bulgarian yogurt Greek yogurt works too
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the cheese until very smooth. Add butter, ½ teaspoon pepper and salt.
- Start laying your potatoes in the lightly greased pan and top with one third of the cheese mixture.
- Repeat with another layer of potatoes and cheese,
- Repeat one more time with one more layer and the last ⅓ of the cheese mixture.
- Place pan on a cookie sheet to catch any drips.
- Cover the pan tightly with foil and bake until potatoes are tender, 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, yogurt and ¼ teaspoon of pepper.
- Pour over the potatoes and bake uncovered until the custard is puffy, golden and set. About 20 minutes or more.
- Let cool for about 5- 10 minutes before serving.
If you are using feta, use less salt.
Photo credit and inspiration: peugeot-saveurs, internationalcuisine