Baked Lamb and Rice with Yogurt
Kosovo Tavë Kosi is a delicious baked lamb dish with rice and yogurt. The lamb is first cooked with garlic and rice and then seasoned with oregano. The dish is smothered in a yogurt egg mixture that turns golden brown and souffle like in the oven.
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 lb lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1" pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup flour
- 3 tbsp long grain white rice
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp finely chopped oregano
- 4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/8 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 5 eggs
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Heat 3 tbsp. butter and the oil in a 6-qt. saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Season lamb with salt and pepper and toss with 1⁄4 cup flour.
- Cook lamb, turning as needed, until browned, 10–12 minutes.
- Add rice, garlic, and 1⁄2 cup water; boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, covered, until rice is just tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in oregano, salt, and pepper and transfer to a 9" x 13" baking dish; set aside.
- Melt remaining butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Whisk in remaining flour; cook until smooth, 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat; whisk in yogurt, nutmeg, eggs, salt, and pepper until smooth.
- Pour yogurt sauce evenly over lamb mixture.
- Bake until golden and the lamb is tender, 45–60 minutes.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine