Croatia Rožata (caramel crème flan)
The Croatian dessert called Rožata is a delicious caramel crème flan with a nice hint of lemon.
- 6 eggs
- 6 tbsp sugar
- 2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla sugar
- 1 Grated zest of lemon
- 2 tbsp rum
- 8 tbsp sugar
For the Caramel
- First to make the caramel sauce add the 8 tablespoons of sugar into a pan and then place on low heat until it dissolves. Then turn up the heat until the sugar syrup takes on a golden brown color. Do not mix the sugar during this process and watch closely.
- Remove the pan from the heat and carefully spread the caramel into the ceramic serving bowls. This must be done fairly quickly as the caramel will harden. Turn the serving bowls upside down so that the caramel slowly covers the sides and leave to cool.
For the Rozata
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Warm the milk in a pot and slowly add the sugar until it dissolves. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Next whisk the eggs together with the two teaspoons of vanilla sugar. It’s better to use a fork or hand whisk for this as you don’t want the eggs to foam.
- Add the lemon zest and rum and gently mix.
- Now pour the milk into the mixture and slowly stir until everything is combined together.
- Pour the resulting mixture slowly through a sieve and then into the ceramic serving bowls with the caramel.
- Place the serving bowls into a deep baking tray and then add hot water to about ⅔ the height of the ceramic serving bowls.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or set, then carefully remove the bowls from the hot water and leave them to cool to room temperature.
- Cover the ceramic bowls with cling film and place in the refrigerator to fully chill.
- When ready to serve turn the bowls upside down, the caramel sauce with flow over the Dubrovnik Rožata
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine