Fried Eggplant and Zucchini
An easy to make starter using fresh eggplant and zucchini. Lightly fried and served with a delicious cucumber yogurt sauce with a hint of garlic.
- 1 large eggplant or two medium, peeled and sliced lengthwise or in circles
- 2 zucchini, sliced lengthwise or in circles
- ½ cucumber, peeled and chopped finely
- ½ cup yogurt, Greek style Bulgarian would work too
- 2 tbsp salt- for sprinkling the eggplant and zucchini
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt to taste
- ½ cup flour
- 8 tbsp water
- olive oil for frying
- Generously salt the eggplant and zucchini, let sit for about 1 hour and let drain in a colander.
- Meanwhile, mix together the yogurt, finely chopped cucumber, garlic and salt to taste, Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Rinse off the salt and squeeze the eggplant of any excess liquid.
- Pat dry
- In a bowl mix together about ½ cup of flour and 6-8 tablespoons of water, you want a smooth consistency, add additional water as necessary.
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan with just enough oil to coat the bottom, to medium high.
- Pass the zucchini and eggplant through the flour mixture on both sides and place in the hot oil.
- Fry on both sides until golden brown.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Serve warm with prepared cucumber sauce.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine