Greek Frappe & Loukoumades
Greek frappe and loukoumades is a wonderful way to end our Greek meal. The Frappe is a such loved iced coffee drink served and enjoyed all over Greece.
- 2 tsp NESCAFÉ® Classic Instant coffee
- 2 tsp sugar
- Ice cubes
- Water or milk per preference
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 0.5 oz active dry yeast
- 3 ¼ cup flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- oil for frying
For the syrup
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Cinnamon for sprinkling
- Pour 10-15ml of water in the shaker (preferably not chilled, but chilled will still do).
- Add two tea-spoonfuls of NESCAFÉ and one tea-spoonful of sugar, or more if desired.
- Shake strongly until all the water becomes foam. Use a blender or emulsion blender, instead of a shaker for a nice creamy foam.
- Pour into a glass of 250ml, add 3-4 ice cubes and chilled water to fill the glass for black NESCAFÉ Frappé. For white NESCAFÉ Frappé, add 20-30ml chilled milk.
- In the mixers bowl add the water and yeast. Stir with a fork and wait for 5 minutes, until the yeast dissolves completely. Into the same bowl, add the rest of the ingredients for the dough and whisk at high speed (for about 2 minutes) until the mixture becomes a smooth batter. Cover the bowl with some plastic wrap and let the dough rest in a warm place for at least 1 hour to rise.
- In a saucepan mix the syrup ingredients bring to boil then reduce to simmer while you cook the loukoumades.
- Into a medium sized frying pan pour enough vegetable oil to deep fry the loukoumades. Heat the oil to high heat until it begins to bubble. Test if the oil is hot enough by dipping in some of the dough for the loukoumades. If it sizzles the oil is ready.
- Dip a tablespoon in some water and spoon out some of the dough into the hot oil. Repeat this procedure until the surface off the pan is comfortably filled. You should dip the spoon in the water every time, so that the batter doesn’t stick on it.
- While the loukoumades are fried, use a slotted spoon to push them into the oil and turn them on all sides, until golden brown. Place the loukoumades on some kitchen paper to drain. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- When done, place the loukoumades on a large platter, drizzle honey syrup and sprinkle with cinnamon.
Photo credit and inspiration: byagora, internationalcuisine