Kosovo Pitalke is a soft pillowy bread that comes from the Prizren region of Kosovo. It is delicious right out of the oven and topped with the roasted pepper spread called avjar.
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ¼ cup warm water
- 1½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Heat pizza stone or cast iron skillet in the oven to 320 degrees.
- Mix the first 3 ingredients and set aside until it turns frothy.
- In a bowl, mix the flour and salt together.
- Add in the yeast mixture.
- Gradually add water until you make a soft dough.
- Knead the dough for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Oil the dough and cover with cloth.
- Let it rise to double the size.
- Divide the dough into four rounds and flatten with your hand.
- Let rise 10 minutes.
- Remove the skillet or stone from the office.
- Dust with flour, spray the dough with water just before placing the stone or skillet back in the oven.
- Bake until puffed up, about 7-10 minutes don't open the oven door beforehand.
- Remove and enjoy hot with some avjar.
Water in a spray bottle to spritz the bread just before going into the oven.
Photo credit and inspiration: