The marinade is what makes the lamb so amazing, the flavors of Greek oregano, thyme, garlic, lemon and of course Greek olive oil come together beautifully in this dish. You should try it!
- 2 lb lamb leg or shoulder, cut into chunks
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 juice of lemon
- 2 red onions, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp dried Greek oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme or some fresh thyme, chopped
- freshly ground pepper
- 24 cherry tomatoes
- 12 metal or wooden skewers (8 for lamb 4 for tomatoes)
- Prepare the marinade for the lamb souvlaki. In a large bowl add the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, the herbs and spices and season with freshly ground pepper – don’t add salt yet.
- Whisk all the ingredients to combine.
- Add the meat and the chopped onions and blend to coat.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap, chill and let marinade for at least 4 hours. It’s best to leave the meat for the lamb souvlaki marinade overnight, to soak up all the wonderful flavors.
- To assemble the lamb souvlaki (skewers), you can either use wooden or metal skewers.
- For this lamb souvlaki recipe, you will need about 12 skewers, depending on the size of each lamb souvlaki. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water. (This will prevent them from burning.)
- Lift the chunks of lamb out of the marinade and thread the pieces, comfortably, on the skewers.
- At this point don’t forget to season your lamb souvlaki with salt. You can alternate the onion pieces with the lamb or grill separately.
- Heat a grill, barbecue or griddle pan and cook the lamb souvlaki for about 10-15 minutes, until done.
- Put the skewers of tomatoes on the last five minutes of grilling.
- Serve this with Red onion if grilled separately, Pita Bread and Tzatziki sauce for a wonderful Greek treat!
Photo credit and inspiration: mygreekdish, internationalcuisine