The pizza is shaped like a oval and is topped with delicious meat and an egg. Hot pickled peppers often accompany the meat pie.
- 1-½ cup All-purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast or 1 packet active dry yeast
- 3 tbsp lukewarm milk
- ½ cup Lukewarm Water
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4 tbsp lard, divided
- 2 cup Center-cut Pork Chops, Cubed or combination of pork and salt cured ham
- 2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- Salt And Black Pepper To Taste
- 2 whole Eggs
- Cut up the meat you are using into bite size pieces and season with cayenne pepper, salt and pepper set aside in refrigerator until ready to use.
- In a cup mix together the yeast, sugar, 3 tablespoons of flour and milk. Leave it to froth for about 10 minutes.
- When the yeast is ready add it into the flour, salt, and olive oil and adding the lukewarm water as necessary. You may need a little bit more or less liquid to moisten the entire mixture.
- Once combined turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 10 minutes. Shape the dough into a ball.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with a towel and let rise in a warm place for about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- when the dough has doubled in size, take the dough and punch it down, on a lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into four pieces.
- Roll each piece of the dough into an oval shape, about ¼ inch thick, spread ½ a tablespoon of lard over the dough, and then place it on a baking sheet.
- Press the meat into the center of the dough, leaving a 2-inch border.
- Put dabs of the remaining ½ Tablespoon of lard on top of the meat.
- Fold the edges of the crust over to make a border, with the fold touching, but not covering the meat.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, or until meat is done.
- In the meantime, break the egg into a small bowl and whisk it. Continue to whisk the egg until it is smooth.
- At the 12-15 minute mark, take out the pizza and brush the tops of the crust with the egg. Pour the rest of the egg on top of the meat, evenly across the top.
- Put the pizza back into the oven for another 5 to 7 minutes, or until the egg is cooked.
- Let pizza cool on a wire rack.
- Enjoy with a shopska salad and some peppercini's on the side.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine