Pastry filled with cheese and fruit
This is a pastry made of filo dough and filled with different alternating layers of a cheese filling, raspberry and apricot filling. It is then baked and topped off with confectioners sugar and served alongside some fresh berries and a strong coffee.
- 1 can apricot pastry filling
- can raspberry pastry filling
- 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1 lb cottage cheese small curd
- 1/3 cup sugar granulated
- 1 zest of 1 lemon
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 lb filo dough
- 4 oz melted butter
- powdered sugar for topping
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
For the cheese filling
- In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth.
- Add in the cottage cheese , sugar and zest of 1 lemon.
- Beat in the egg yolks, one at a time.
- Add sour cream and beat again.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg white until stiff.
- Fold into the cheese mixture and set aside.
To prepare the Gibanica
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Lightly butter a 13x9 glass pan.
- Place a piece of filo dough on the bottom and lightly brush with butter.
- Repeat with a second piece.
- Spread half the cheese mixture on top..
- Place two more pieces of filo dough lightly buttering each one.
- Spread the apricot filling and add two more pieces of filo dough, buttering each one.
- Spread the raspberry filling and add two more pieces of filo dough, buttering each one.
- Spread the rest of the cheese filling.
- Finish with two more pieces of filo dough buttering each one on top.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until golden.
- Allow to cool.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, cut into squares and serve with some fresh raspberries.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine