Romanian Mămăliga Baked
It is the national dish of Romania and used to be considered a peasant food however today you will find it on nearly every menu in the finest establishments. It goes beautifully with soups and stews.
- 4 cup water
- 2 cup ground coarse cornmeal
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup butter melted
- ½ cup shredded feta cheese
- ½ cup sour cream
- Bring the water and salt to a rapid boil in a large pot.
- Turn heat down to simmer and slowly pour in the cornmeal.
- Stir constantly for about 20 minutes until you notice the Mamaliga breaks away easily from the side of the pot.
- The cooked Mamaliga should be thick enough to stay on a plate by itself.
- It could be served just like this, cut into slices with a string. It would be served with sour cream, and feta cheese sometime even a fried egg on top.
For the Baked Mamaliga:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Put half of the porridge into a 7 x 9 greased glass pan.
- Pour ½ of the melted butter on top.
- Whisk together the 4 eggs and the shredded feta cheese.
- Pour over the bottom half, making a layer of egg and cheese in the Mamaliga.
- Spread the rest of the Mamaliga on top.
- Pour the remaining melted butter over that.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the top becomes lightly browned.
- Cut in pieces and serve with sour cream on top.
Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 620mg | Potassium: 205mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 410IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 1.7mg
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine