Baked Greek Chicken
This is so wonderful on a bed of spinach, or topped on warm pita bread!
- 2 lemons
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Red onion, cut into thick slices
- 1/3 cup pitted kalamata olives
- 3 large chicken breasts
- black pepper
- 1 tsp Greek seasoning (or 1/2 tsp. oregano, 1/2 tsp. salt)
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1/2 cup hummus
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 pint cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Crumbled Feta for topping
- pita bread for serving
- Preheat oven to 450
- Zest one lemon. Place zest in a large bowl and add 1 Tbsp. olive oil. Add in the red onion slices and kalamata olives and toss to coat.
- Place onions and olives in the bottom of a baking dish.
- Cut the chicken breasts into tenders (slice them parallel to your work service, then cut each half into 3 pieces.
- Season the tenders with salt, pepper,and Greek seasoning (if using) then place them on top of the bed of onions and olives.
- Tuck the peeled garlic cloves under the chicken to keep them from burning.
- Spread the hummus evenly over the top of the chicken breasts. Squeeze the juice out of the zested lemon over the top of the chicken and onions.
- Sprinkle the paprika over the top. Add the zested and squeezed lemon rinds to the pan.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes. Add the tomatoes to the perimeter of the pan, then drizzle the balsamic vinegar over the top of the tomatoes.
- Return to the oven for another 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve on a bed of spinach, topped with feta cheese and with extra lemon wedges for squeezing. Optional accompaniments: Roasted red peppers, pepperoncinis, pita bread with hummus, or cucumbers.
Photo credit and inspiration: thewanderlustkitchen