Garlicky Greek Potato and Almond Dip
Creamy potato, nutty almonds, and zesty garlic make up this classic Greek meze. Whether enjoyed as a dip or a spread,
- 1/2 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 medium russet potato, peeled and cut into 1" cubes
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add the almonds and boil for 1 minute. Immediately drain, rinse with cold water, and pat dry with a towel.
- Gently squeeze the almonds out of their skin; discard skins. Place the blanched almonds in a food processor or blender and process until finely ground.
- Place the salt and potatoes in a medium saucepan and add enough water to cover the potatoes by an inch. Boil for 12-15 minutes, under the potatoes are fork-tender. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth, then stir in the ground almonds and pressed garlic. Slowly drizzle the olive oil into the bowl while simultaneously whisking the mixture.
- Continue to whisk vigorously until the oil is emulsified and absorbed. Whisk in the vinegar. Taste and add additional salt as needed. Serve at room temperature.
Photo credit and inspiration: thewanderlustkitchen