Traditional Romanian Cabbage Rolls
Authentic Romanian Sauerkraut Stuffed Cabbage Rolls- a great recipe for feeding a crowd, take it to potlucks and family reunions.
- 1 lb ground meat beef, pork
- 1 big onion chopped finely
- 1 cup rice
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp marjoram
- 1 pickled cabbage or 1 big jar of cabbage leaves see pictures and links
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 lb bacon chopped
- Peel and finely chop the onion. Add oil to a deep pan or pot and turn on the heat.
- Add water to the rice so that it's covered with water. Stir continuously until the rice absorbs about half of the water.
- Add one or two tablespoons of tomato paste and seasonings (salt, pepper, thyme) to the rice and mix everything well. Add and mix the ground meat.
- Grab a cabbage leaf and place 1 tablespoon of meat on it. Wrap the meat inside the cabbage leaf to obtain a neat roll.
- Add a layer of bacon over each layer of rolls.
- Fill up the pot with cabbage rolls, then mix together the tomato juice and the paste and pour it over the rolls.
- Add water to cover the rolls.
- Bake in the oven at 350F for3 hours.
Photo credit and inspiration: europeanfestival.ca, thebossykitchen.com