Sarmi with Minced Meat and Sauerkraut
Sarmi are round or oblong balls made of vine or cabbage leaves with filling made of minced meat and rice.
- 3 tbsp oil
- 6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 tsp heaped paprika
- 300 g minced veal
- 300 g minced pork
- 200 g rice
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped mint
- black pepper
- 32 Cabbage/Vine leaves
- 240 ml plain yogurt
- 25 g melted butter
- extra paprika
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onions and fry, stirring, for 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the paprika, meat, rice, mint, parsley and salt, mix well then pour in enough boiling water to just cover the mixture.
- Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Place the vine leaves in a large mixing bowl and cover with boiling water.
- Boil off any remaining liquid from the rice mixture if necessary then place one teaspoonful of the meat mixture on each vine leaf.
- Roll the leaves up into little parcels and arrange, seam side down in a wide saucepan.
- Gently pour 360ml/12fl.oz. of hot water over the parcels, bring to simmering point then cover and simmer on a low heat for about 30 minutes.
- When almost ready, mix some extra paprika into the melted butter.
- Carefully transfer the parcels to a serving dish using a slotted spoon then pour the melted butter mixture and yogurt over the top.
- Serve immediately.
Photo credit and inspiration: cuisinebgcr.wordpress.com