Shkembe (Tripe Soup)
The shkembe is a traditional Bulgarian soup made from tripe and it also doubles as a post-drinking snack to settle the stomach, and is a great hangover cure.
- 3½ cup beef stock
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 onion - chopped fine
- 1 bell pepper - cut into thin-strips
- ½ tsp marjoram, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp parsley - chopped fine
- 1 can can tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove - crushed
- 1½ lb tripe, cooked
- ⅔ cup Kashkaval cheese - grated
- Combine onion, red pepper, butter in large saucepan.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, then stir in the tomato paste.
- Cut tripe into thin strips.
- Add tripe pieces, stock, salt, marjoram and bay leaf to onion mixture.
- Partially cover the pot and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Pour soup into a tureen or serve in individual bowls.
- In a small bowl, combine parsley, garlic and cheese - sprinkle over hot soup.
- Serve immediately.
Calories: 148kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 2.1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.6g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2.2g | Trans Fat: 0.2g | Cholesterol: 118mg | Sodium: 822mg | Potassium: 162mg | Calcium: 40mg
Photo credit and inspiration: survivalbg.info, wikibooks.org