Bulgarian Holiday Cookie Maslenki
These jam-filled cookies go well with Turkish delight sweets. They are traditionally made with lard, but butter will do.
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 cup lard or butter
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 jar tart jam rosehip, plum, raspberry, or apricot
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs and sugar until light and foamy, about 5 minutes.
- Melt the lard or butter and–when cooled to room temperature–add it slowly to the egg-sugar mixture with the vanilla, mixing constantly.
- Whisk together flour and baking powder; slowly add it to the egg mixture to create a firm dough.
- Roll out the dough to 1/8-inch thick on parchment-lined baking pans and cut with a round cutter.
- Cut out a hole in the center of half of the cookies and remove scraps.
- Bake about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- Re-roll scraps and repeat.
- Sprinkle the cookies with holes with confectioner's sugar. Spread cookies without holes with a jam of choice. Press together jam-filled cookie with holed-cookies to form a sandwich.
Photo credit and inspiration: bulgariancooking.com, thespruceeats.com