Eggplant Pepper Spread (Kiopoolu)
Kiopoolu is a Bulgarian roasted eggplant-pepper spread used as an appetizer on bread or as an accompaniment to grilled meats.
- 1½ lb eggplant
- 2 green bell peppers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 firm-ripe Roma tomatoes
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp red-wine vinegar
- ¾ tsp salt
- Broil eggplant and peppers, skin-side up, until blackened.
- Transfer to a heatproof bowl and cover with plastic wrap to steam for 10 minutes.
- When cool enough to handle, remove skins.
- Puree eggplant and peppers in a food processor until smooth.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil through the food chute and process until well incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl and add remaining ingredients, mixing well.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve at room temperature with breads or grilled meats. Refrigerate leftovers.
Calories: 112kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g
Photo credit and inspiration: aussietaste.com.au, thespruceeats.com