Traditional Bean Soup
Bean soup in Bulgaria is a "national" dish. Most popular is the Monastery Version which is totally vegetarian.
- 1 lb dried Great Northern beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cup diced onion
- 1½ cup diced carrot
- 1½ cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 10 cup water
- black pepper½
- ½ chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp minced fresh winter savory
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- salt, black pepper and paprika for reseasoning
- Soak the beans in cold water for 6 hours, drain and pour fresh water.
- Boil in an earthenware pot together with the oil, finely chopped carrots, onion and celery.
- Add the sliced peppers, the grated tomatoes and mint.
- Cooked in water for 45 minutes to an hour until tender.
- Salt and boil for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with finely chopped parsley.
Photo credit and inspiration: bulgariancooking.com, 196flavors.com