Walnut Cookies (orehovki)
The ultimate walnut cookies – crispy on the outside, and chewy on the inside, with a strong nutty, cinnamon taste – only 3 ingredients but a ton of flavor, these are easy to make and sure to please everyone!
- 2 cup finely ground walnuts
- 200 g powdered sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 3 egg whites
- 1 tsp vanilla
- pinch of salt
- In a food processor, pulse 250 g of the walnuts (about 2 full cups) for a few seconds until they resemble fine crumbs. Separately, roughly chop the other 50 g and reserve.
- Heat a pot of water on the stove to a simmer.
- Put your egg whites in a metal bowl, place bowl over the simmering water and beat with a hand mixer until the egg white are frothy and almost stiff.
- Reduce heat, and add the sugar gradually, a few tablespoons at a time, while continuing to beat. Add the finely ground walnuts, cinnamon, vanilla, and a pinch of salt, and beat over the water for another 5 minutes. Add the roughly chopped walnuts at this point.
- Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 365° F (180° C), and line a couple of cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Scoop about 2 tbs of the dough, and with wet fingers form small balls, about an inch in diameter. Slightly flatten them on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Let dry.
Photo credit and inspiration: viktoriastable.com, bulgariancooking.com