Simple and easy to make cookies that can be made all year long.
- 4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup sunflower or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup shortening or lard
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup ground hazelnuts or walnuts
- In a large mixing bowl, add flour and make a well the center.
- Add to center soda and yogurt and stir. Next mix in sugar and then shortening or lard which has been melted, but not hot. Let it sit for 10-15 min.
- In a separate bowl, mix walnuts with sugar for the inside of the cookies.
- Make sheets with the dough about 1/8 in thick and cut in squares of desired size. In the middle of each, place the walnut mixture and roll closed. Bake 10 min. at 425F until golden brown.
- After cookies have cooled, dust with powered sugar. If you were to add honey to a similar cookie dough, you end up with a cookie known as a medinki.
Photo credit and inspiration: bulgariancooking.com