Ajdovčki - Buckwheat Thumbprint Cookies
Brittle, not too sweet + they have a lovely nutty flavor.
- ⅔ cup white flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- ⅔ cup ground walnuts
- 5 tbsp cocoa
- 7 tbsp butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 knife tip cinnamon
- 1 knife tip cloves
- 2 tbsp rum
- preserves or jam
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Rub in butter with your fingertips. Mixture will be crumbly.
- Beat egg yolk and rum together and sprinkle over mixture. Work with hands until mixture holds together. If necessary, add a little more rum or water until you have a stiff, dense dough.
- Form dough into small balls, about the size of a walnut. Place on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Make a depression in each ball with the handle of a wooden spoon, a chopstick, or your finger.
- Bake at 330 degrees for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Enlarge hole with your finger and add a bit of jam. Reduce temperature to 300 degrees and bake for 5 more minutes. Let cool.
Photo and inspiration: slovenianroots.blogspot.com