Fasolakia - Green Bean Stew
Beautiful, tender green beans cooked slowly in a tomato-based sauce is the perfect companion for a wonderfully light but protein-rich serving of Greek baked ricotta.
- 1 kg fresh green beans
- 100 ml olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and grated
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 400 g roma tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 100 ml water
- salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Wash and trim ends from beans. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a large, heavy based pot. Add grated onions and fry over low–medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add the beans and the minced garlic and fry, stirring, for another minute or so.
- Add the tomatoes, water, salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover pot and simmer on very low heat for 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Add the parsley, increase heat to medium and allow to simmer, uncovered, for around 5 to 10 minutes until any watery liquid has evaporated and all you are left with is a thick, tomatoes sauce.
Photo and inspiration: greekvegetarian.blogspot.com