These Greek pita sandwiches are topped with a homemade yogurt sauce and stuffed into pita bread with veggies and feta cheese.
- 1 cucumber
- ½ red onion
- ½ cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- Fresh ground pepper
- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1 tsp chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup yogurt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- Splash white wine vinegar
- ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 4 8-inch diameter whole wheat pita breads, halved
- Peel the cucumber and dice it. Thinly slice the onion.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half. Dice the green pepper.
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas. Place all vegetables in a bowl or an airtight container
- To the bowl with the vegetables, add 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and fresh ground pepper pepper.
- Stir in 3/4 cup feta cheese. Taste, and adjust flavors if desired. This mixture can marinate for a bit if desired, or serve immediately.
For the yogurt sauce
- Chop the dill, enough for 1 tablespoon.
- In a small bowl, mix together 1 cup yogurt, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill (or 1/2 teaspoon dried), a splash white wine vinegar, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and fresh ground pepper.
- Using slotted spoon to remove any extra liquid, transfer the salad mixture to the pita bread halves. Serve with yogurt sauce.
Photo credit and inspiration: acouplecooks.com