Ričet - Traditional Slovenian Barley Soup
It is very healthy and nutritious dish that can be made as a completely vegetarian dish.
- 200 g barley
- 1½ l water
- 200 g pre-cooked beans
- 300 g cooked smoked pork, ham, sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium tomato
- 300 g mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp ground caraway seeds
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp marjoram
- salt to taste
- ground black pepper
- 10 g bonito flakes
- fresh parsley leaves
- Various vegetables Wash the barley and soak it in water over night.
- Put the pot of pre-soaked barley to cook. Add sliced onions, crashed garlic, herbs and spices except salt. Bring to a boil and slowly cook for about 20 minutes.
- Slowly add all the vegetables. Use 3 to 5 different kinds of vegetables that you like and that go well together. First add the ones that have the longest cooking time. From time to time mix the stew, so that it does not stick to the bottom.
- Cook another 15 minutes. Then add separately cooked beans, pre-cooked smoked pork, ham or sausage and sliced tomato or tomato past.
- Add salt to taste. Cook another 10 minutes. Cover the pot and let the stew rest for about 5 to 10 minutes, then serve garnished with parsley.
- Barley soupYou can serve ham or sausage separately or in the soup.
Photo and source: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com