Štruklji are a traditional Slovene dish, composed of dough and various types of filling.
- 1 egg
- 2 cup white flour
- ½ cup warm water
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vinegar or lemon juice
Sweet filling with Cottage Cheese
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- ¼ lb cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp sugar
- white breadcrumbs
- Place the flour in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the flour and add all the ingredients.
- Blend and knead until the resulting dough is smooth and elastic – at least 10 minutes. Leave the dough to rest for 30 minutes.
Sweet feeling with cottage cheese
- Mix in cottage cheese, sour cream, egg, sugar and breadcrumbs. If you want more taste, add finely chopped tarragon or raisins (raisins are better if you soak them in rum for 30 minutes).
- After 30 minutes roll the dough out on a lightly floured board into a rectangle about 12 inches by 18 inches. Spread the filling over the dough and roll it, starting at its long side, into a tight roll, much like a jellyroll.
- Place the roll on a clean white cloth or a double thickness of cheesecloth large enough to cover it. Wrap the roll in the cloth and tie the ends with string, sausage fashion. Coil the roll into a circle and drop it into a large pot of boiling salted water. Simmer for 25-30 minutes, then carefully lift it from the pot. Unwrap the roll and keep it warm.
- For the topping, sauté bread crumbs in butter until golden brown. Slice the Štruklji into pieces 2 inches thick and top with the buttered crumbs.
Photo and inspiration: gurman.eu, wikipedia