Santorinian Tomato Fritters
Golden brown and so crispy on the outside, soft and sweet with a hint of tartness on the inside.
- 400 g cherry or mini roma tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 small red onion, grated
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 120 g raising flour
- 1 lightly beaten
- olive oil
- In a medium saucepan, fry the onion in a little oil over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and cover for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Transfer the onion and tomato mixture to a large bowl, add tomato paste and herbs and season well with salt and pepper.
- Add the flour and egg, mixing, until it forms a thick batter, adding more flour if necessary.
- Over high heat, pour some olive oil into a large non-stick frying pan until it reaches a depth of around 1cm. Once the oil has heated, drop a small amount of the batter into the oil and if it sizzles, the oil is ready. Turn the heat down to medium.
- Drop heaped tablespoonfuls of the batter into the hot oil and fry both sides until golden and crisp.
- Drain over paper towels and serve immediately with fresh Greek yogurt.
Photo and inspiration: greekvegetarian.blogspot.com