Cauliflower Soup aka Corba
This soup is as delicious with chicken stock as it is with vegetable broth. The latter is the only change necessary to made this creamy cauliflower soup vegan.
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, cut into thin coins
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium potato, diced
- 1 medium to large head of cauliflower, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 quart chicken stock or vegetable broth
- salt to taste
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp flour
- In a soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat.
- Fry onion until golden; add carrot and celery and saute 1-2 minutes.
- Add the diced potato, cauliflower, tomato, thyme and black pepper. Saute another minute.
- Add chicken stock or vegetable broth. If the vegetables are not covered, add 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat. Simmer until vegetables are tender.
- Taste and salt to your liking, but watch that shaker!
- When the vegetables are tender, make a roux by heating 1 tablespoon of canola oil in a small saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of flour and stir well. Add 1 ladle of soup broth to the roux and whisk until smooth.
- Add the complete roux mixture to the soup pot and stir. Cook for another 5-10 minutes.
- To make an even thicker soup, blend half of it using a hand mixer or a blender.
- Adjust seasonings to taste before serving.
Photo and inspiration: recipes.arkanweb.com, passingtherelish.com