A Fried Cheese Doughnut
Romanian Papanaşi is a fried cheese doughnut the hole of the doughnut is placed on top and in between it is smothered with cherry preserves and topped with confectioners sugar.
- 4 cup cottage cheese
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp lemon zest grated
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- Cooking oil
- Powdered sugar to garnish
- Whipped cream or sour cream
- Fruit preserve strawberry, raspberry, sour cherry etc.
- In a large bowl mix the cottage cheese, sugar and baking powder.
- Add the eggs, vanilla, salt and lemon zest.
- Mix very well to get a smooth as possible.
- Slowly add in the flour a little at a time.
- If the dough is too moist add more flour, you don’t want the dough to be too sticky.
- Heat the oil in a deep fryer or skillet over medium high heat.
- Make small balls of dough, to fit in the palm of your hand, make into a donut shape with a hole in the middle. Dip into a small bowl of flour.
- Fry them in oil until golden brown on both sides.
- Remove onto a paper towel to remove any excess oil.
- Assemble the donut with some sour cherry preserve on top add the small ball on top of that, sprinkle with some powdered sugar and a dollop of whipped cream or sour cream on top.
- Serve while warm.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcuisine