Horta Vrasta: Boiled Leafy Greens Recipe
This salad can be made with spinach, beet greens, as well as greens others might consider weeds, such as dandelion greens and nettles or any dark leafy green, such as mustard greens or broccoli rabe .
- 3 pound leafy green any leafy green of your choice, like chicory, chard
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 pepper
- Wash the greens well before cooking and trim any coarse stems.
- Soak the greens in a clean sink or a deep bowl with plenty of water and about a cup of white vinegar. Any sand or residue will fall to the bottom while the greens will float on top.
- Remove the greens to a colander before draining the water.
- In a large pot add water and bring to a boil and then add about a tablespoon of salt to the water. Carefully add the greens in the pot and continue boiling for another 20 minutes or until the thickest parts of the stems are tender. Be careful not to over boil.
- Drain in a colander and place in a bowl.
- Dress with extra virgin olive oil, lemon juice, and a bit of salt and pepper to taste.
- You can serve the greens warm or at room temperature.
Photo credit: www.thespruceeats.com
Source: www.thespruceeats.com, ww.greektastes.com