In this recipe, the gigantes are slow-cooked in a rich tomato sauce until perfectly creamy and tender. Serve over toasted crusty bread for an easy vegetarian meal!
- 1 lb dry gigantes beans, soaked overnight
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 can cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 cup vegetarian chicken broth (or water)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Crusty bread
- black pepper
- olive oil for serving
- Place all of the ingredients in the bowl of a large slow cooker.
- Cook for 4-6 hours on high, or 8-10 hours on low. Taste and add more salt as needed.
- Serve with toasted crusty bread. Garnish with freshly ground black pepper and a drizzle of olive oil.
Photo credit and inspiration: thewanderlustkitchen