Meatballs Recipe with a Lemony Sauce
Flavor-packed tender meatballs with a crispy crust and a lemony sauce. This recipe can serve a crowd as an appetizer,
- 1 medium yellow onion, grated
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 slice, day old bread, cubed and soaked in milk
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk, divided
- ½ lb ground lamb or pork
- ¼ cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1 tbsp organic ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried oregano, preferably Greek oregano
- 1 tsp organic ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- black pepper
- 3 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1¼ cup chicken broth
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until golden, stirring regularly.
- Then transfer the onions and garlic mixture to a large mixing bowl to cool.
- Add the soaked bread to the mixing bowl.
- Add the ground beef and lamb (or pork) to the mixing bowl add,
- Then add 1 egg, spices, fresh mint, salt and pepper, 1 tbsp lemon zest. Mix using your hand until until became a mixture.
- Start forming the meat mixture into balls. The roll meatballs into the flour and place them on a large tray.
- In a large skillet add 1/4 cup olive oil and heat over medium-high. After a few minutes, turn heat to medium and add the meatballs to cook.
- Cook the meatballs for about 10 minutes and turning them, until fully cooked.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the meatballs from skillet and place them onto paper towels to drain any excess fat.
- Whisk the 1 egg yolk with the chicken broth and lemon juice into the skillet and add the remaining lemon zest, then add the meatballs back in.
- Cook over medium heat for another 5 minutes until the lemon sauce thickens.
- You can serve hot in bowls with pita bread or a salad.
Photo credit and inspiration: themediterraneandish.com