This is an amazingly delicious soup. The flavor is very unique and nutty and it just tastes so so good.
- 1 lb fresh nettle leaves, stems removed, washed well and chopped
- 3 small carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup white rice
- ⅓ cup walnuts, chopped
- feta cheese
- black pepper
- cayenne pepper
- In a large boiling pot sauté the onions and garlic in some olive oil until soft and translucent. Then add the carrots and cook for 5 min until soft.
- Then add the chopped nettle leaves and cook about 5 min, or until all the water is released (nettle leaves behave like spinach and will pretty much evaporate upon cooking so do not get alarmed if the 1 lb of leaves seems too much) and season with salt, black pepper, red pepper and some cayenne pepper.
- Then add water (add little by little until you reach a desired consistency), the rice and the walnuts and bring to a boil and cook for ~ 15 minutes, or until the rice is ready.
- Serve as is or with crumbled feta and a spoon of plain yogurt!
Photo credit and inspiration: bgcooks.com