You must have heard about Serbian hospitality, kindness and cordiality. But did you know that all of that is accompanied with a warm welcome that simply can’t go without homemade plum slatko.
- 1 kg plums
- 1 kg sugar
- Lemon juice
- Rosette leaf
- Slatko is made from slightly ripe plums which are peeled and put in lime water.
- To make lime water solution dissolve 250 g of lime into 2 l of water, stir and pour 2 more liters of water.
- Leave it for the lime to fall on the bottom then drain the clear solution (lime water) and put plums in the water.
- Leave them in this solution for at least an hour and then rinse them well and take out the pips.
- Using a mix of sugar and 1-2 cups of water make a syrup and cook it on low heat until the mixture reaches the consistency of honey.
- Add vanilla, lemon slices and a spoon of diluted citric acid.
- Cooked the prepared plums in this syrup for about 25 minutes and then add the rosette leaves.
- Take off the stove, cover with a lean, moist cloth and once it has completely cooled pour the slatko in jars.
Photo credit and inspiration: www.kuvajmo-blogovski.com & serbia.com