Veal or Chicken with Walnuts
An easy to make delicious chicken dish from Albania. The crushed walnuts add a lovely nutty flavor and texture to this dish. Simply flavored with minced garlic. I choose a chicken dish as the main, as many Albanians raise their own.
- 2 tbsp all-purpose plain flour
- 15 finely crushed shelled walnuts
- 2 beaten egg yokes
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/4 lb sticks butter
- 2-3 lb Veal or Chicken meat cut up in 1" cubes
- Place the meat or chicken in a saucepan and cook over medium heat until tender.
- Then remove the meat setting it aside in a dish while leaving the remaining juices in the saucepan.
- In another saucepan, add the flour and sauté over heat until it becomes light brown in color (do not overcook!) and add the half a stick of butter.
- Then, add the finely crushed walnuts, minced garlic clove, and the two egg yokes, stirring constantly.
- Add the juices from the other saucepan and sauté until all the ingredients thicken.
- Immediately remove from the heat to avoid solidifying the egg yolks.
- Then fold in either the meat or chicken. Pan fry the remaining half stick of butter until brown and pour over the four servings.
- Enjoy it.
Photo credit and inspiration: albaniantranslators.com, wherethefoodis