Greek Baklava Pastry
Greek Baklava Pastry is a classic Greek baklava recipe, made with phyllo dough, ground nuts, filling and bathed in sweet honey syrup. Today you can find many variations across the Turkish and Arab cuisines, Balkans, and Central Asia, and it was a popular dessert of Ottoman cuisine.
This crunchy and honey sweet pastry is made with phyllo dough filled with spiced nut and coated in sweet syrup.
- 16 oz phyllo dough 1 package
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound walnuts, chopped any nuts could work
- 1 cup butter
- 1 cup 1 cup white sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F/175° C.
- Place a baking sheet at the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking pan and coat with butter.
- Prepare the mix in a bowl with cinnamon and chopped nuts. Leave it aside. Unroll phyllo dough.
- Unroll phyllo dough and start placing two sheets of dough then brush with butter. Repeat this until you get 8 layers of sheets then add the nut mixture on top and two sheets of dough, then again butter, nuts.
- Before you place it in the oven cut into different shapes using a sharp knife then bake until the baklava became golden for about 50 minutes.
- Prepare the sweet sauce placing a pot with water over medium heat and bring it boil. After it starts boiling add sugar. After it melted, add honey and vanilla, let it cook for 20 minutes.
- When ready take out of the oven the baklava and pour over the sweet sauce over it.
Inspiration and adaptation: fandom.com, wikipedia.org, tastybg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.
Did you make this Baklava Pastry recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!